Jonathan’s 2015 campaign posters flood Abuja
on JANUARY 2, 2013 · in NEWS
By Soni Daniel, Regional Editor, North
campaign posters, announcing President Goodluck Jonathan’s readiness to
contest the 2015 presidential election, greeted Nigerians in Abuja, the
nation’s capital, as they woke up to savour the dawn of the New Year.
all-glossy posters, which were strategically posted in the high brow
areas of the Federal Capital Territory, did not however indicate the
source or the sponsor of the advertisement.
The launch of the
campaign materials contradicts the President’s claim that he has not yet
decided on the 2015 poll but concentrating effort on transforming
Nigeria in line with his manifesto to give the people a ‘fresh air’.
was not clear why the sponsors of the message decided to put it out on
the first day of the new year but a source familiar with the message
pointed out that it was to send a strong message to the opposition that
Jonathan was serious about contesting in 2015 and to test the reactions
of the Nigerians.
The campaign posters have been spread
across the major areas of ECOWAS, Peoples Democratic Party Secretariat
in Wuse 5, and the Central Business District, where major government
offices are situated.
One of the posters, which had President Goodluck Jonathan’s portrait read, 2015: No vacancy in Aso Rock. Let’s do more. One good term deserves another. Support Dr. Goodluck Azikiwe Jonathan for 2015 Presidency.
Presidency disowns posters
contacted the Political Adviser to the President, Alhaji Ahmed Gulak
disowned the posters saying that they did not emanate from the
presidency and that “the president has not authorised anybody to print
any campaign poster for him as regards 2015 elections”.
declared that the president has been “pre-occupied with working to fix
Nigeria and did not want to be distracted by undue politicking about
The presidential aide further said that the pasting of the
posters could be the work of mischief makers who want to deceive
However, in an exclusive interview with Vanguard last
month, Okupe had said that when the time was ripe his boss would respond
to the issue of 2015, insisting that Mr. President was preoccupied with
fixing Nigeria’s problems at the moment.
Okupe pointed out that
it was wrong for some Nigerians to try to distract the President from
fulfilling his electioneering promises to the nation by bringing up the
issue of 2015 presidency.
The aide, however, said the wonderful
performance of Jonathan at the end of the tenure would make most
Nigerians to compel him to run in 2015.
“Nigerians ‘ll want him to run”
had said: “I am very certain in my mind that Nigerians are going to
applaud him and even if he does not want to run for election, Nigerians
are going to force him to run again because of the level of performance.
God and the people of Nigeria will decide what will happen in 2015. But
I think what is uppermost in the President’s mind is to solve the basic
needs of Nigerians by improving power, infrastructure, roads and check
insecurity in the land.
“When he achieves all these, Nigerians
will decide what to do with him. In fact, when we get to the bridge we
will learn how to cross it. That is what I can say about 2015 for now.”
poster, it was gathered, was printed by political hawks close to the
Presidency in light of recent claims by the opposition to forge an
alliance to chase out Jonathan in 2015, coupled with the warning by the
Niger Delta former militant leader, Asari Dokubo, to Jonathan not to run
in the next election because of poor outing so far.